It’s no surprise that online sales continue to grow and there are certainly a lot of bloggers providing great data on this growth. It does, however, seem like many marketing blogs make it sound like everyone is buying online and that just isn’t the case. Here are nine statistics to help you understand a bit about who to target with online sales (research conducted by Pew and Mintel):
1) 15% of American adults are not online at all.
2) 31% of online adults shop online less than once per month.
3) 48% of online shoppers occasionally increase the size of their order to get free shipping.
4) 28% of online shoppers search the web for the lowest price and always choose the lowest priced retailer.
5) Consumers tend to purchase items that are desired, such as electronics as opposed to needed items such as personal care items.
6) The most frequently purchased products online are books/eBooks and women’s apparel.
7) Families that have children at home are top shoppers. Only 23% of shoppers without children at home purchase online weekly, compared with 40% who have one child at home, 56% with two children and 66% with three or more.
8) The average order size also increases when the shopper has children at home. Shoppers who don’t have children at home have an average order size of $78. With one child at home the order size averages $123 and this jumps to $177 with three or more children at home.
9) One more fact on those shoppers with children, since this appears to be a critical demographic. 22% of shoppers with three or more children use an online reordering service as opposed to 6% of shoppers who do not have children at home.
Are you in the midst of establishing an eCommerce business? Or are the orders more than you can keep up with? DreamWise is here to help with your order fulfillment, inventory management and marketing needs. Contact us at 303-858-1025 or complete the Request a Consultation in the right hand column of this page.