Click through ads are fleeting and junk emails annoying. From Facebook ads to pop-ups it seems like there is no end to the efforts to sell something online. And these days the Internet seemingly knows you better than your closest friends; knowing what you want and showing it to you over and over to encourage sales.
Of course, from a business perspective, we know that marketing online works, despite the annoyances to individuals. However, research indicates that people are fed up with online marketing and opportunity exists where businesses can connect with people in a more agreeable way.
In a world of fleeting images, print pieces have a lasting effect. Take, for example, Millennials (people currently ages 20 to 36). Ninety percent of Millennials sleep with their phones next to their bed and 84% of them have a social networking profile. And yet this connected generation reports that they are most likely to make a purchase based on a direct mail piece (92%). Moreover, Millennials (and everyone else) report a higher level of trust in printed pieces, compared to digital marketing.
Direct mail, print ads, physical brochures, and other printed pieces can have a big impact with people of all ages, especially when they are combined with digital marketing. That is why we at DreamWise recommend that all marketing campaigns include both digital and traditional channels.
Here are a few ideas to incorporate print into your digital marketing strategy:
1) Include QR codes or Personalized URL’s on your print pieces that provide value to customers online.
2) Use your online marketing to offer a welcome packet or information packet that is sent through the mail. Including a promotional item will make this even more enticing. You can also do the opposite by offering valuable downloads through your print pieces.
3) Hold an online contest or giveaway. Use print ads or direct mail to promote it.
4) Send a direct mail piece announcing an upcoming online campaign or vice versa.
5) Purchase a targeted mail list and target social media ads to the same group. For example, target mothers of preschoolers through Facebook and direct mail.
6) Make coupons available online and promote them through print.
All businesses should be including some print pieces in their marketing mix, but it is especially important for businesses that need to build trust such as medical providers or businesses that sell big-ticket items. At DreamWise we would be happy to sit down with you and discuss options for incorporating print into your current marketing mix. We can be contacted at 303-858-1025 or by completing the Request of Consultation form in the right hand column of this page.